In the late 1990's when I first worked on 'grey' imports, the Mitsubishi Pajero was the main vehicle coming into the UK. The technical information we needed was not available. 'Applied knowledge' was our only option! Main dealers weren't interested; Many still aren't. So enthusiasts like me, specialise in 'grey imports'.
They are vehicles manufactured for the local Japanese market, that are not imported into the UK by main dealers. They are generally imported by small companies or individuals.
Japanese vehicles are strictly tested in Japan. Tests and repairs are not cheap! If a vehicle is likely to fail, it can make economical sense for it to be sold and a new one purchased.
The used vehicles are sold at auction in Japan, listed by chassis number and grade. (See auction sheet with vehicle grade below.)
The auction sheet tells you little about the mechanical condition.
Japanese vehicles are rarely driven above 60mph. They don't rust proof their cars because they don't use salt on their roads, preferring to use winter tyres. Japanese imports can stand on the docks for a long time before they are sold.
In the UK, as a minimum, a Japanese grey import will need a new speedo face, rear foglight and illuminated foglight switch. And it's likely to need additional testing to ensure it meets European standards.
There's advice on importing a Japanese vehicle on this link
It makes sense to have your Japanese import serviced, checked and rust proofed. Phone, text or email to book with us.
Allans Vehicle Services,
Wixenford Depot, Plymstock, Plymouth, Devon, PL9 8AA.
VAT no: 909 7647 80
Tel: 01752 403400
Mob: 07471 002034
Text: 07471 002034
I work on my own. If I can't answer right away, please leave a message with your telephone number, so I can return your call.
If you contact me on Saturday or Sunday, I will respond on Monday.
Open Mon - Fri 8am til late.
Allans Vehicle Services
Terms and Conditions
Vehicles, keys and contents left at owners risk. Please read this link for full details.
1. If you have any COVID-19 symptoms, no matter how mild, please rearrange your booking. If you arrive with symptoms, you will be turned away.
2. Please remove any items which prevent clear access to the areas I need to work on.
3. Please leave all doors open, to clear air from your car. If it's raining, leave all windows wide open.
4. Place your key in the drop-box in the lobby at the reception entrance.
5. The area of your car that I work on, and your keys, will be sanitised before and after working.
6. You can no longer wait in Reception. You are welcome to stand in the lobby by the open door. I'm next to NT Saltram House, where you can walk, or sit and enjoy the views.
7. Payment by debit card. No cash accepted.
8. 24hr drop off and collection can be arranged, at your own risk.
I will update these rules when the situation improves. Take care everyone. Full details on THIS LINK